How important is this topic to you? Have you given it any thought? Do you purposely put aside time for yourself? Well, you can and perhaps it’s a good idea too! In this article, we are going to discuss the importance of self-care and how it can enhance your everything. Giving yourself the time to practice self-care is essential to a harmonious life full of vitality and well-being.
Let’s be honest, It’s very easy to get caught up in the cogwheel of life, you have a very busy week at work, therefore you start to feel stressed and pressured with deadlines, you’ve jam-packed your calendar with a load of work/social events, then it’s inevitable that you would cancel that yoga session you so badly wanted to attend, or that meditation class that’s been on your mind for a long time. My point is that we get so caught up with life that we forget we are the main contributors in it and that we too need some nurturing and a bit of TLC to keep up with it all, so essentially it is actually vital that we take very good care of ourselves and work on what we think our priorities are.
This is a lesson I learned since I’ve started to be more consistent in my routine. I’ve been structured with my morning self-care routine, even whilst I was traveling, I continued to do it, nothing stopped me! The benefits I noticed, after a short while, were remarkable. What was once a circuit of stagnation was replaced by my strong will and reason to make a change in something for the better. The results made my eagerness in continuing much stronger.
I want to share it with you so you might take some inspiration or ideas. I give myself 30-60 minutes (obviously you can reduce the time) first thing in the morning to perform my kriyas. The word Kriya is a Sanskrit term that means “completed action.” These consist of 8 tasks as follows:
- The scrapping of the tongue – I use a tablespoon to scrape off all the white residue that is left on my tongue after a big nights sleep, do it until you see your tongue is mostly pink or the saliva on the spoon is mostly a clear colour.
- Rubbing salt on your gums – I use bio-sea salt for this and gently massage up to down on my gums without swallowing the salt, then I spit out the salt using water to get it all out.
- Neti pot nasal cleanse – I use 125ml warm water and a ½ teaspoon of salt to clean one nostril at a time, if you put the neti pot in one nostril you will see the water trickle out of the other, vice versa**.
- Eyewash – I gently splash my eyes with water, keeping my eyes fairly open so the water enters the eyes.
- Silent meditation – I find a quiet space and sit down for 10-15 minutes of silent meditation.
- Few minutes of expressing gratitude.
- A little yoga to start the day.
- Give myself some Reiki time.
**You can buy a neti pot online. If you search it on the internet you’ll find a lot of information and videos on how to use it correctly**
By dedicating this time to my well-being it gives me a sense of self-love and connection with myself. Giving yourself that time for self-care could also mean going for a walk, singing, dancing, sitting in silence, whatever it is that gives you that moment of clarity, peace and harmony to live the rest of the day in bliss, even when we need to do those least favourite tasks. When we feel in balance, the environment around us adapts to our vibration and if we are vibrating at our optimum level then have a guess at what will surround us? So decide what your kryas will be, start the day with a completed task, as simple as it is.
This will help you set the filter with which you will look through your day and many more tasks and ideas will then become achievable.
Adopting this type of mindset will enable you to break established disempowering patterns, allowing new energies and initiatives to come into your life and as a result getting out of stagnation. In case you are on a good roll already, kryas will make sure you will never run out of your vitality and openness to new opportunities with the guarantee of always being aware of your self-care and self-love.
Any questions, comments, feedback, quick hello’s, please get in touch, we’d love to hear from you. 🙂
“Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.”
– Anne Lamott
Founder of Om Reiki Connection
*Please note that these are observations coming from personal experience only, results might vary from individual and shouldn’t be substituted for any undergoing therapy.